Welcome to the snake facts site. You will find facts on snakes of all types. Here are some quick snake facts:
- There are 3,000 kinds of snakes but only 650 kinds have venom that is poisonous.
- There are no vegetarian snakes. All snakes are carnivores.
- Snakes have no eyelids and cannot blink.
- Scientists who study snakes are called herpetologists.
- When in danger, some snakes will pretend to play dead by lying on its back with its tongue sticking out. Even some venomous snakes are known to play dead.
- The heaviest snake in the world is the anaconda. The biggest ones can weigh over 500 pounds which makes them as heavy as a lion.
- Snakes are a symbol of healing. People once thought that snakes could live forever and become young again every time they shed their skin.
- Most snakes avoid confrontation.
One of the most important things to know about snakes is that they are cold-blooded, meaning their temperature are regulated by their surroundings. Snakes cannot generate warmth from within their bodies like warm-blooded animals can which makes them very vulnerable to cold environments. This is why snakes are found in warm and tropical climates.
Be sure to read the other pages for more facts on snakes
Other interesting sites to explore